Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Long Time Coming

So, this is my first blog ever, and I'm not sure what to say. I guess I should let you know who I am and why I'm blogging...

My name is Rachel. I am 37 years old and I am EXTREMELY overweight, and I have been ever since I can remember. (I'm sure I am obese, but I don't like that word. So I chose to use overweight. It sounds friendlier.) My mother has a picture of me when I was about 6 or so and I was overweight even then. I have never "felt" overweight, though. I mean, I have felt the effects of obesity (cringe at the word) but I haven't felt like you would think someone feels who is overweight. I have always felt bouncy and energetic. I have felt like I was full of life, not full of fat. I see pictures of me and I say, "There is no way that is me... I don't feel like I look." But nonetheless, it is me that I am looking at and the time has come to change me into the me I feel inside. The bouncy, breezy, flirty, happy-go-lucky me.

I have been watching what I eat and going to the YMCA daily for about two weeks now. I have my friend Sean to thank for the inspiration to begin my journey. I will tell you all about him very soon. He is on a fantastic journey with incredible results so far. And so many more ahead of him. But for now, let's talk about me. At first I had a hard time keeping my heart rate where I wanted it while on the treadmill. Now, only two weeks later, it is often hard to get my heart rate up enough to reach my "fat burning" rate. That's a great improvement... and in such a short amount of time. Also, my blood pressure has gone down considerably. My best friend Melissa joins me at the Y daily. She is and I'm sure will continue to be a great support for me. I feel blessed to have her on my side.

So that's it for now. I hope to learn alot about myself and my habits as I become the person I feel like I should be. This will be a long journey, but I have put me on the back burner for far too long and it's time to stand up and take responsibility for the body I have created. It's time to become the person I have always felt like I was inside. It's time to take the longest journey... a journey to me.

Thank you for reading,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I'll read everything you write. You always have my support dear friend!
    Fo someone reading this---and wondering, why does Sean say "love, Sean" Well---It's because I've known Rachel since I was 14 years old. Rachel and my wife Irene have been best friends since middle school. Rachel is part of the family and always will be!

    I'm so proud of you Rachel. This is a very important step for you, it really is...and you're going to reap many rewards along the way becuase of this wonderful step you're taking!

    My best always
    Love,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete